The Fountain Pen, Guelph's On-Line News
ADV: BBS 42 - Affordable, Reliable Web Hosting

OPP Warn Residents of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Web posted on December 28, 2013

(WELLINGTON COUNTY, ON) Power outages continue in Wellington County due to the ice storm from the weekend. On December 24, 2013 Wellington County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to two medical assistance calls for carbon monoxide poisoning.

One incident occurred at a vacant apartment building in Ballinafad, Town of Erin where a generator was being operated in the basement. The second incident occurred in Elora, Centre Wellington Township where a generator was being operated too close to the home and fumes traveled inside.

Centre Wellington Fire and Rescue Department along with Guelph-Wellington Emergency Medical Services (EMS) attended the scene in Elora, Centre Wellington Township and treated three adults.

The Town of Erin Fire and Emergency Services responded to the incident at the vacant apartment. Fire Chief Dan Callaghan says "It is recommended that all homes with appliances that produce carbon monoxide such as wood stoves, gas fireplaces, furnaces, hot water heaters have a carbon monoxide detector on every level, and do not leave a motor vehicle running in a garage".

Follow these safety tips to protect against CO poisoning:
* NEVER use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas, even when using fans or opening doors and windows for ventilation. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours, even after the generator has shut off

* Install battery-operated CO alarms or plug-in CO alarms with battery back-up in your home

* Carbon Monoxide is the "silent killer". Don't take chances. If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air right away. Don't delay. Seek medical help


Back